Beneficiaries of the CBN anchor borrower rice production scheme in Kebbi state who have not redeemed their loan may need to worry as the state government has vowed to prosecute 11, 541 defaulters in the state.
The State Deputy Governor Alhaji Samaila Yombe, said this when he visited the farmers in Suru local government area, on Thursday.
The governor who gave the defaulting farmers three weeks ultimatum said that the farmers should have redeemed their loan long ago, considering the bumper harvest recorded as a result of the support from the CBN anchor programme.
According to him “I came here to express my disappointment in you because you harvested your farmlands in large quantity and sold out to millers in and outside the state”
“You have been expressing your happiness and commendation on the programme as many of you have made the unexpected harvesting and now rich. Why did you not want to redeem the loan for others to benefit in the revolving loan programme? He said
Yombe gave the ultimatum due to the request made by the District Head of the area, Alhaji Mummadu Bello that they needed three weeks to pay back the loan.
The district head who had earlier pleaded with the state government for extension of time for the loan redemption, expressed that the farmers used the proceeds for the next farming season.
“We have been making efforts to recover the loan from our farmers but we realised that they put the proceeds on the second phase of the farming.
“As soon as the second phase is harvested in the three weeks, we will all pay,” he assured